Sunday, July 3, 2016

Marilyn: The girl with the voice and the smiles

I first met Marilyn Kasparian at a gig featuring November (Zee Karkabi on guitar and vocals, and Marilyn on vocals) at Nova Club, back in 2013. That is 3 years of beautiful music I've been enjoying, and 3 years of friendship with this beautiful soul. She has evolved so much since then, musically and otherwise, and she now performs as her self-titled music project, Marilyn, alongside some great musicians, Alan Abi Sleiman, Guy Ramy, and Zee Karkabi. Marilyn's drive and dedication is admirable, and her talent is truly enjoyable. I sat down with her for a little chat about her musical work, and this is what she had to say.

• What moved you to start in the music industry? How old were you when you decided this is what you wanted to do?

I don’t recall a specific age or moment where it felt like, “ok so THIS is what I want to do”, it is more of a passion that grew over the years, something that came to be naturally, like if I weren’t singing that would be odd! [smiles] Plus, the awesome feeling you get from performing is pretty addictive!

• What is your favorite music style?

I don’t have one actually, I’ve got moods, [smile] but maybe I’d say I most appreciate alternative music, and I definitely love it when there’s fusion.

Guy, Marilyn, Alan


• Who are the bands and people you have collaborated with over the years?

Well, most notably, I’ve had the chance to collaborate with Zee Karkabi on November and with Hisham El Hajj Boutros on Layercake for a while. I recorded a song and a video with Roswell and had the chance to share the stage with the kick ass GURUMIRAN, as well as amazing artists from 8e Art, including Michel Labaki. Of course, I can’t forget to mention Danny Bou Maroun, the awesome composer and friend with whom I’ve recorded my first (and unfortunately, only) original song.

I am currently performing alongside awesome musicians: Guy Ramy (percussion) and either Alan Abi Sleiman (currently working on amazing original material), or Zee Karkabi (get ready for his album release!)
Roswell


Layercake
Gurumiran
Michel Labaki

• What is your favorite project that you've worked on, to date?

Though I’ve loved all the collaborations I’ve had the chance to be part of throughout the years, I have got to say November. I learned so much and changed so much thanks to Zee and thanks to the fact that we were able to make music we actually enjoyed, and not only because it was in demand. There is an undeniable connection that, in a way, made us both better together than we are apart, in the opinion of many!

November live in concert at Metro Al Madina
• What/Who is your inspiration?

No one in specific, I don’t really identify to a specific artist or style.

• What is your favorite part about what you do?

Ok this is going to sound mean, but making someone cry: to know that you’ve moved someone, that someone has received your emotion so strongly, not necessarily sad, but a beautiful one… I’m out there pouring it all out, and someone got it. There’s nothing like it.

• What are you currently working on?

Unfortunately, I am not currently working on anything other than the gigs, but I have been writing and would love to turn that into original material. That is definitely something I look forward to down the line. Also, I’ve been dipping my toe in acting [smiles] Chady Rizk gave me the beautiful opportunity to act in his upcoming short film “Cypresses”.

A still from "Cypresses"

• How do you view the Lebanese music scene?

Unexploited and yet brimming with untapped potential. However I am happy to see that the nightlife is largely including bands, and people like Anthony Semaan definitely do go out of their way to promote local talent. I just hope we get to a point where you can make a decent living by being a musician in Lebanon.

• What words of advice can you give to aspiring singers and bands?

Be supportive of one another.


Check out her music and gigs' schedule on her Facebook music page.

No comments:

Post a Comment